Monday, September 7, 2009

Monday Munchies: Labor Day Vittles

As most – if not all – of you know, today is Labor Day here in America – and Labour Day in neighboring Canada. Most nations – from Albania to Zimbabwe – celebrate the international labor force in early May, but it’s no surprise that North Americans are oddballs. Americans and Canadians have always marched to the beat of their own crazy drums.

So, here we are, celebrating Labor (Labour) Day just as school-aged children are mourning the end of summer, and prime-time addicts everywhere are saluting the start of the fall television season. (Ooh, I can’t wait for Castle and Fringe to come back!) Ahem, and as usual, I don’t understand the concept of a holiday. I want to understand – I really do – but ever since I quit my last full-time office job in the fall of 2000 and started down the freelance path, weekends and holidays have pretty much become a faded memory.

Part of it is my workaholic nature – much to my poor husband’s chagrin, I just don’t know how to stop writing, editing, tweaking, and tweaking again, and I always feel a little behind in everything. (Sometimes, I find it amazing that I even manage to click the “Publish Post” button at all.) The other part of my unintentional aversion toward necessary “rest” days is that I have no set schedule anymore. As a freelancer, I find that my hours (and days) simply melt into one another... and suddenly, it’s Monday, and I’m wondering where the weekend went.

But, while I might forget to relax on weekends and holidays, I never forget to eat. As with most Americans, there’s rarely a holiday that I don’t celebrate with food. Cabbage on New Year’s Day, chocolate for Valentine’s, king cake for Mardi Gras, turkey and cranberry sauce in honor of Thanksgiving, pumpkin pie and mulled wine on Christmas Day, and, of course, grill-friendly, all-American vittles on the three summertime holidays: Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day.

So, although I’m ignoring the fact that it’s a holiday weekend (the last of summer – boo-hiss!) and working instead on my blogs and other projects, I’ve still made time for a little celebratory meal – potato salad, corn-on-the-cob, and, naturally, grilled hot dogs.

I hope that, wherever you are, you’re celebrating, too! And if meat isn’t your thing, have some larger-than-life zucchini – from my garden, no less – on me! Enjoy the vittles – and take a little time to relax. No doubt, you deserve it!

Hey, I never said, “Do as I do!”

19 comments:

Deb said...

Okay, now I'm hungry! Nice zucchini collection, hmmm, I wonder, which one would I choose to have with that yummy dinner you have prepared?

Hey, thanks for using the correct spelling of Labour day! I used the American spelling on my blog lol!

Laura Martone said...

Hehe. Well, Deb, if you're now hungry, then mission accomplished! I don't know which zucchini to choose - each one could feed the entire family! They're outta control.

Oh, and you're welcome for the proper spelling... I try my best to be considerate of other cultures, even if I am just a lowly American. ;-)

Susan R. Mills said...

I consider working on my manuscript relaxation, so I completely understand where you are coming from. But your pictures here made me hungry. I must go eat something!

Unknown said...

I'm hungry now...thanks. ;) Looks like fun!

Deb said...

I get the crazy zucchini thing! I'm curious about the rest of your garden now.

Sheesh--good thing you used that winky emoticon after refering to yourself as a lowly American!

Laura Martone said...

Hi, Susan. When I was actually writing my novel, it was definitely relaxing. But the revision process isn't at all! Seems like it's never-ending. :-(

After reading your comment, I took another look at my pictures, and now I'M hungry. But it's late - so a cup of tea will have to do!

Laura Martone said...

Sorry, J.J. Can't help myself - I'm kind of an unabashed foodie!

Joshua McCune said...

Laura, traitour. Why nout just add a 'u' after every wourd with an 'o' in it? Nothing wrong with being simple - our northern territory needs to get in line ;)

Those cats in the top pic need some doobies, methinks (or perhaps they were just hidden for the photo-op).

I've always kind of liked editing. The writing part can be frustrating at times,though (frickin' segue scenes).

And cabbage on New Year's? Eww -- that's almost as bad as those black-eyed peas my mother forced me to eat back in the day. Almost.

WV: couth -- completely untrue.

Laura Martone said...

Hehe, Deb! The things that seem to be growing best this summer (despite the unusually cool temps) are the tomatoes, eggplant, and zucchini, but nothing is nearly as huge as the zucchini! Who knew? [said the lowly American - teehee! ;-)]

Laura Martone said...

Well, Bane, harumph on you! I'm not a "traitour" at all... just a considerate (if simple-minded) American, which is more than I can say for you, my li'l S-DJC.

As for the top pic... er, um, uh, I hate to out the good folks of South Padre Island, but there was plenty of doobie action going on that night. How else could they play those crazy drums for so long?

Now, as for editing... well, normally, I like it... I like stripping words away and seeing the story that remains. But, when your book is a good 75k words longer than it should be, it's a scary prospect indeed. :-)

Mmm... cabbage. I love it so - on or off New Year's Day. But I'm beginning to think you and my hubby would get along famously. You're both jaded cynics with a funky sense of humor, a hatred for CRASH and other equally pretentious flicks, and perhaps an even bigger hatred of cabbage. I think Dan's exact words are usually... "What the hell is that bloody smell?!" (And, no, he's not from England - though we lived there once.)

Joshua McCune said...

England - me, too! -- Back when I was 6, so I didn't go Pubbin'. Rained too much, but very cool castle visits :)...

Yeah, 75 k to cut is quite daunting... my problem of late has been adding words to my stories... My first trunker version written eons ago came in at 400k (epic fantasy, of course :)...

Now that I'm a bit more serious, WC have gone like this - 81K, 72K, 45K, 52K -- I'm finding it very difficult to break 60K anymore, though my current WIP should get there. Despite my verbosity elsewhere, my writing is fairly spare... If it weren't, wow, my editing would take 4EVER.

Lori said...

Oh, those are some enormous zucchinis! And yeah, this Labor Day thing being celebrated in the fall is very puzzling for me too. I fail to get it. The whole world is celebrating in may, after an event that happened in may in US, and US doesn't choose to celebrate then. No idea what's going on. Not that I care all that much either. Vacations are fun whenever they come and for whatever reason. I'm always ready.

Anita said...

OK, you just made my mouth water, not even kidding! YOur hoilday was much more yummy than mine.

Laura Martone said...

Howdy, Bane!

What? No pubbing when you were six? How sad - to be deprived at such a young age. Growing up in New Orleans was a wee bit different.

As for word count... I only wish that my writing style were more simple. Then, maybe I wouldn't have 75k bloody words to get rid of! Good luck with your current WIP - and thanks so much for reminding me of my own verbosity - and the fact that my editing WILL take 4EVER! I appreciate it - seriously. :-)

P.S. I noticed you were spanked on Jan's site today. Was it deserved? ;-)

Laura Martone said...

Lori - Yep, they're some big 'uns! Obviously, I also fail to "get" Labor Day being in September, too... but, as I said, we're contrary souls. You're right, though - vacations are fun whenever or whyever they happen!

Anita - I love that my photos got your mouth watering. That was the idea!

Deb said...

Lucky girl! I can't grow any of things outside here. We're subject to rogue killing frosts every month of the year. I have one cherry tomato and one cucumber in my itty bitty greenhouse. sigh

Marguerite said...

Hi Laura, I understand about the freelance lifestyle. I work longer and harder, now, than I ever did at my regular job. But, I enjoy my work, so that helps. Your blog is fabulous and your food looks great! Thanks for visiting my blog and adding me to your reading list. Cheers!

Laura Martone said...

Sorry to hear that, Deb. That'll teach me to stop complaining. It's been an unusually cold summer, so certain produce - like wild blueberries and the herbs in my garden - were thwarted from thriving. But, hey, at least I've been able to harvest a few yummy treats, including my gargantuan zucchini. So, I should be grateful for such small graces.

Wish I could send some zucchini and tomatoes to you! I already owe you a basket of blackberries!

Laura Martone said...

Hi, Marguerite!

I'm so happy to meet a fellow Louisianian - and one who understands the freelance lifestyle, to boot! I'm totally with you - I work longer and harder now that I'm left to my own devices, but on the other hand, I love being a travel writer... At least it's given me the time to finish a novel, right?

Anyhoo, thanks for visiting my blog - and for becoming a follower! I'm truly tickled!