Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Whimsical Wednesday: Admitting Bane Could Be Right

In thanking Valerie Geary yesterday for her recent interview, I admitted to being a fellow spurner of romance. As I should have expected, my good friend Bane of Anubis called me on that statement, by leaving this succinct comment:

Anybody that read Twilight+3 in such a short span cannot call herself a spurner of romance :p

He might be a smart ass, but he's completely accurate. Although I stand by my disgust of the kind of romances that might feature Fabio on the cover – or could be easily adapted for the Hallmark television network – I have a considerable romantic side. Why else would I cry while watching Avatar or eagerly seek out romantic comedies like Catch and Release? Even my novel, Hollow Souls, centers around a lifelong love affair.

That said, it probably comes as no surprise that love features prominently on one of the other blogs that I maintain – Come In Character – where today we're even attempting a group romance. Okay, so participation has seemed low as of late – in fact, this is probably the shortest group story that CIC has ever experienced – but that won't stop me from focusing on love and all its various forms during the month of February.

So, as difficult as it might be for me to say this, I guess Bane was right. I am a sucker for romance – and hopefully, my hubby knows it.

14 comments:

Roni Loren said...

Aw, don't hate on romance. :) I admit some of the covers are a bit much, but there are loads of wonderful romance authors and stories out there. Of course, I'm a bit biased since that's what I write, lol.

Valerie Geary said...

Don't tell Bane he was right!!! We'll all rue the day! :P (And my name on your blog two times in a row?! I'm blushing!)

Laura Martone said...

Well, to be fair, Roni, I haven't given romance much of a chance. And now, of course, I feel bad that I "hated" on your own genre. I hope you know that it's nothing personal. :-)

P.S. Incidentally, plenty of people don't like MY genre of choice - literary fiction - so I should have known better.

Laura Martone said...

Oops, sorry, Valerie. Guess I already let that one slip. Hope it doesn't go to his head. 'Cause then we WOULD rue the day.

P.S. I made you blush?! How cool!

Roni Loren said...

:) No worries, Laura, don't feel bad. I think each genre has its stereotypes to overcome. I used to think all lit fiction was depressing, which of course isn't true.

Laura Martone said...

Oh, goody. I certainly didn't want to offend you, Roni. :-) And, yes, you're right - every genre has its pesky stereotypes. My lit fic novel, in fact, isn't all that depressing - no Virginia Woolf in sight.

P.S. So, who are you gonna root for in the Super Bowl?!

Joshua McCune said...

Group romance -- ha ha -- you and your secret terms...

PS - I do love so being right.

PPS -- if it weren't the colts, I'd be rooting for the Saints, but I'd like to see Manning win again just b/c I dislike Mr. Bunchen. I know, it doesn't make sense, but, to steal from Mr. Ford, hey, it's me :) That being said, I'll be thrilled either way.

Laura Martone said...

I'd laugh, but I'm just too miffed right now. I mean, it was bad enough that my father-in-law is rooting for the Colts, but now you, too?! That's it - I hate to say it - but our online friendship is officially over. Phlbbt!

Laura Martone said...

Of course, I'm kidding, Bane. ;-) If it weren't for the Saints, I'd be rooting for the Colts. And, honestly, I'd love to see someone stomp Brady's record - I just can't stand that guy!!!

P.S. But, of course, I want the Saints to win. I'll be in the Quarter on Sunday - and I can't imagine what the party'll be like if our boys go all the way!

Roni Loren said...

Laura, my hubby and I were in New Orleans for the last game visiting my family, so I can't imagine what the city is going to be like for the Super Bowl. I still can't believe out Saints are in it. Be careful partying in the Quarter, hopefully you'll have a lot to celebrate!

Joshua McCune said...

That's awesome that you'll be back in NO -- it'll be a huge pre-party, and yeah, I can't imagine how epic the post SB bash'll be should they win.

Laura Martone said...

Oh, how exciting, Roni! My hubby and I were in Florida at the time, but we were still freaking out when they won. Frankly, I'm still in a bit of shock - hard to believe the Saints are finally in the show! And, yes, while I plan to be careful on Sunday night ('cause no doubt the crowds will be crazy), I aim to have a good time, too!

Yeah, I'm pretty darn excited, Bane! I'll tell you all about the madness - which should be intense, whether they win or not.

Nighfala said...

You can have a romantic subplot without writing a "romance novel." I can't stand all that heavy breathing and sweating and icky stuff. Or even the fluttering heartbeats. Gag me with a conversation heart, why don't you?

However, a good romantic subplot is almost essential to any story. I think it was Anton Chekov who said "A story without love is like a meal without wine."

Laura Martone said...

You're absolutely right, Christine. Romantic subplots can be terrific - though I don't think they're necessary in every story (sorry, Mr. Chekhov). But some of my favorite genre books - horror, mystery, and crime thriller - are even better because of the romantic subplots. Dean Koontz seems to understand that.