Friday, June 17, 2011

Friday Fantasies: A Winnie-the-Pooh Escape

I can't believe that it's been almost seven weeks since I last posted something here. Without intending it, I'm afraid that my poor blog is, as with so many others, at risk of becoming obsolete. Unfortunately, that's what happens when you allow work to get in the way of your non-paying interests. But, even with impending deadlines for my current guide, Moon New Orleans, I've found time for sources of relaxation, such as biking, hiking, yoga, swimming, going to the movies, and reading on my in-laws' hammock.

As for movies, my husband, Dan, and I have recently seen X-Men: First Class and Super 8 – both of which we enjoyed immensely. As for books, though, I'm not at all embarrassed to admit that I recently read A. A. Milne's beloved Winnie-the-Pooh, and I was shocked to discover that Tigger doesn't make an appearance in this first collection of stories about the Hundred Acre Wood. Even Dan was surprised when I told him that Pooh, Piglet, Rabbit, Owl, Eeyore, Kanga, and Roo meet Tigger in the second book, The House at Pooh Corner. How silly we both feel for thinking that Tigger and Eeyore – our favorite characters – had always been friends. But memory is a funny thing – childhood memories are especially susceptible to distortion and manipulation – and it makes me wonder if it's better to stay ignorant or realize the truth.

Perhaps, in the case of Winnie-the-Pooh, it's just better to enjoy the stories and forget all the fuzzy memory business.

2 comments:

J.B. Chicoine said...

Those are some big philosophical thoughts for your Friday Fantasies! Seems like adulthood has a way of blowing our childhood 'cozies' to smithereens! But then, reality doesn't always suck either.

Laura Martone said...

Oh, Bridget, I don't know how philosophical today's thoughts are. I just think it's funny how skewed childhood memories can be - especially how things like books and movies could seem so wonderful back then, only to seem less than stellar as a grown-up. Sometimes, I miss my wide-eyed little self, but of course, you're right - grown-up reality doesn't ALWAYS suck! There are lots of things that I can do now that I couldn't do then - like driving myself to visit a friend! ;-)