Sunday, March 20, 2011

Weekend Mishmash: Notes from Underground

Although I'm a bit late in doing this, I'd like to take a moment to promote a wonderful new anthology of short stories, novel excerpts, poems, and other enticing writings. Published by the folks at The Literary Lab and dubbed the Notes from Underground Anthology, this intriguing collection presents a wide array of stories, one of which is written by my online pal (and helpful beta reader), J.B. Chicoine. Having purchased the book through Kindle for my new iPhone, I've already read several of the entries, including Bridget's heartbreaking story (an excerpt from an unpublished novel that I badly want to read), so I can say without a doubt that I highly recommend this collection – which captivated and entertained me immensely during the long drive between Los Angeles, where my husband and I recently ran our sixth annual Beverly Hills Shorts Festival, and our home in New Orleans.

Not only is the anthology worth reading, but I also relish the fact that, by purchasing it, I'm supporting my fellow writers – both those whose works are included within the anthology as well as those who will ultimately benefit from the Writer's Emergency Assistance Fund, the charity that will receive all proceeds from this anthology. Every little bit helps after all – especially in these challenging times.

6 comments:

J.B. Chicoine said...

Oh Laura! Thanks so much for liking my story, and writing such a nice endorsement of the anthology! It's a real privilege to be amongst such an accomplished array of authors! And it is for a good cause...

Anne R. Allen said...

Thanks for the great review, Laura. I agree with jb. I'm humbled to be included with the brilliant writers in the anthology.

Laura Martone said...

You're so welcome, Bridget! I'm happy to help my fellow writers, especially when it's for a good cause. 'Cause goodness knows, freelance writers need help sometimes.

Laura Martone said...

You're welcome, too, Anne! It really is an engaging anthology - the stories and styles are all so different and creative.

Angie Ledbetter said...

Sounds like a great book with a good cause.

Laura Martone said...

Hi, Angie! Nice to see you here! As for the book, yes, it definitely makes for an interesting read. And it's always nice to know that one's purchase - however small - may benefit those in need. :-)