Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday Munchies: Key Lime Pie

For the third time in a week, I find myself scribbling “key lime pie” in a post. First, it was in reference to a recommended destination in the Florida Keys (for my American Nomad blog). Then, on Saturday, I mentioned it again in a travel post. So, seeing as how it’s my favorite dessert in the whole wide world, I think it’s the perfect time to discuss it here. After all, “Monday Munchies” is my self-imposed chance to highlight my top culinary cravings – and there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t yearn for a slice of sweet, tart, creamy key lime pie.

Darn it all, there I go again – wishing for something that I have no business eating. Grrr.

Although chocolate mousse and mint chocolate chip ice cream are a close second, key lime pie wins out every time. I’ve tasted it in restaurants and at festivals all over the country – from Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurant in San Francisco to the New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Festival. Whenever I’ve met friends at The Cheesecake Factory (whether in Chicago, Burbank, or somewhere in between), I’ve never failed to order key lime cheesecake, no matter how tempting the myriad other varieties of scrumptious cheesecake might seem. At the grocery store, Edwards individual slices virtually call to me – so much so that I’ve learned to avoid the frozen food aisles altogether whenever I’m on a diet. Given my lime obsession, it might come as no surprise that margaritas and mojitos are my mixed drinks of choice, that I can’t pass up a lemon-lime Jelly Belly, and that I’ve been known to suck on lime slices until my tooth enamel aches.

When Dan and I were last in Key West, Florida, we made a point of stopping at the Blond Giraffe (107 Simonton St.) for a slice of classic key lime pie. A frequent award-winner, Blond Giraffe offers four other locations in Key West, so it’s not difficult to find. While there, we decided to be adventurous and try the pie-on-a-stick, essentially a frozen slice of key lime pie, covered in dark chocolate. Ooh-la-la! Just thinking about it makes me crave it all over again.

Tonight, Dan and I are in Traverse City, Michigan, and we’re planning to go to the Red Mesa Grill for dinner. Can you guess what I noticed on the online menu? That’s right – key lime pie! Woohoo! I can’t wait! So, as much as I would love to linger and chat, I have to get myself in gear. The key lime pie is a-waitin’, after all, but don’t worry, I’ll make sure to eat my dinner first. Before I go, though, I just have to know... what’s your favorite sweet treat?

2 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

I made a Weight Watchers key lime pie and my boyfriend wasn't too fond of it. He said he'd rather have a real key lime pie. I said if I was going to have calories like that, I'd rather it be chocolate!

Laura Martone said...

Mmm... well, while I can understand (and appreciate) your point of view, Steph, I REALLY enjoyed the "real" key lime pie I had tonight. Dan and I shared a slice, which helped, but who am I kidding? It was still a diet-buster!