Monday, October 19, 2009

Monday Munchies: Cafe Du Monde

Two months ago, I was already anticipating the seasonal move from northern Michigan to southern Louisiana. As I expressed then, I always have bittersweet emotions about this particular move. It’s hard leaving the beauty and solitude of Michigan behind, but it makes it easier knowing that Dan and I are headed to New Orleans, the land of plenty. Plenty of yummy food, plenty of great music, plenty of sensory overload.

For a variety of reasons too silly to list here, we ended up delaying our trip, but we’ll finally be packing up the van and heading south for the winter – in less than two days. And all I can think is... Cafe Du Monde, here we come! ‘Cause just after ordering a plate of raw oysters from Oceana Grill, Dan and I will make a quick stop at this historic twenty-four-hour coffee shop on Decatur Street.

True, we’ve been there more often than we should, but it’s just too hard to resist our standard order: a cafĂ© au lait and a trio of beignets – essentially, French doughnuts covered in powdered sugar. As I wrote in August, I’ve been to Cafe Du Monde numerous times – it was often the coffee shop of choice among my Quarter-hopping friends and always the preferred after-hours stop following a high school dance.

So, if you ever find yourself in the French Quarter, make sure to stop there at least once. Just be forewarned – that sugar can be messy – so messy, in fact, that all self-respecting police officers (dressed in their customary black uniforms) must order sugarless beignets, or else face the consequences – because, no matter how hard you try, the powdered sugar will find its way on your clothes.

But it’s well worth the mess. I have the dusted pants and heavenly memories to prove it.

What's your favorite doughnut of choice?

15 comments:

Roni Loren said...

Oh beignets, how I miss thee... I actually put Cafe Du Monde and beignets in my most recent WIP, which takes place in New Orleans.

Joshua McCune said...

One of the first places I visited when went down to Tulane for a regatta my frosh year of college. Definitely a highlight.

Marguerite said...

Love Cafe' Du Monde! I have many wonderful memories of this charming place. Their beignets and coffee are divine. Great post!

Becky said...

Goodies from Goodale's bakery in Grayling, MI for up here, and most definitely Cafe Du Monde is on the "top 5" list of food to-do's when we're in N.O. I'd say the top 2 for my kids are Cafe Du Monde and Plum Street Snowballs. Since it was so hot last time we were there, Snowballs were almost a daily treat :-). Have a safe trip!!

Natalie said...

Yum. I love beignets! I'm also partial to cream puffs--do they count as doughnuts?

Angie Ledbetter said...

Where's my drool bib? (You can buy the beignet mix if you can't get to the French Quarter.) I was in NO this weekend, but didn't make it to my favorite eating spots -- beignets and Central Grocery Store. :(

Deb said...

Has everyone been there but me? lol Looks yummy, I'm a sour cream glazed donut girl.

Regina Quentin said...

How funny! We (writing partner and I) just wrote Cafe Du Monde into our book. Lovely lovely place.

Safe travels to you.

Stephanie Damore said...

Deb, don't worry, I haven't been there either =( But it all sounds delish!

Me? I love sprinkles. It doesn't matter what type of doughnut as long as it has sprinkles!

Laura Martone said...

Roni - That's hilarious! Cafe Du Monde's in one of my WIPs, too. And both of mine partially take place in New Orleans. Naturally.

Bane - A regatta? Wow, you really are quite the athlete. Glad you enjoyed the beignets!

Marguerite - I have many wonderful memories there, too. I was even excited when it showed up in the film RUNAWAY JURY!

Laura Martone said...

Becky - I know, I know. Must try Goodale's next summer. And I so agree with Plum Street Snowballs - I always make a beeline for their booths at area festivals, like French Quarter Fest in the spring. Thanks for the well wishes - I'll try to post from the road!

Natalie - Mmm, cream puffs. Well, technically, they're pastries, not doughtnuts, but who's counting? They're pretty yummy, too.

Angie - Yeah, I've seen the boxes around town, but I've never tried it before. Wonder if I could do them justice. Dan usually likes making things on his own, but even he agrees that part of the fun is eating them under that green-and-white awning. Besides, they're dirt cheap. Even the coffee is inexpensive. As for your trip, I'm sure you had fun anyway! P.S. And while I love the Central Grocery Store, I enjoy muffulettas at Maspero's even more!

Laura Martone said...

Deb - Well, get your bootie down to the Big Easy, so you won't be the odd girl out. LOL! P.S. Sour cream glazed donuts rock, too. Though I'm a huge jelly donut fan.

Regina - That's too funny! You, me, and Roni have all used Cafe Du Monde in our WIPs - great fodder, I guess.

Steph - Well, then, you must come down, too! I'll take you 'round town - it'll be awesome! P.S. Sprinkles are good, especially the chocolate ones. I like nuts, too.

Unknown said...

Yum! Sounds good! The stuff out there must be tasting even greater!

TheWordWire said...

I'm so excited to read your New Orleans-based blog. This post made me smile.

Laura Martone said...

Smita - I have to agree. New Orleans cuisine is good in general. :-)

Wordy - Now, that made me smile! Wish I could send some hot beignets your way!