Monday, February 7, 2011

Monday Munchies: Reliving Good Eats

Although being a travel writer has its negative aspects – as I explained in a recent post on my American Nomad blog – I must admit that having the chance to sample various cuisines and other tasty treats isn't one of them. While researching my recently published Moon Florida Keys guidebook, for instance, my husband, Dan, and I devoured everything from mojitos and crab-stuffed artichoke hearts at Key Largo's Coconuts Restaurant and Night Club to tempura lobster tails at Pierre's Restaurant in Islamorada to blue cheese chips (pictured here) at Sparky's Landing in Key Colony Beach to “kinky” key lime pie at Key West's romantic Better Than Sex dessert lounge. The only trouble is that, once the book was published and I began promoting it through blog posts, radio interviews, and the like, I was forced to relive all those wonderful memories – and long for another taste of Florida's culinary delights, especially some classic key lime pie.

Of course, it's at such moments that I realize how lucky I am to be in New Orleans right now – a city whose cuisine is, after all, legendary. So, pass me a plate of raw oysters, please, and I promise to stop wishing for what I don't have. Honest.

4 comments:

Becky said...

Yum! Those look good! French fries are one of my favorite foods! Good french fries. And those look really good! Have you tried Cooter Brown's cheese fries yet? As with many college treats, they may be better in my mind than in reality, but give them a try! Speaking of cheese, have you been to the St James Cheese Co? OMG! Here we go again... food....

J.B. Chicoine said...

You knew that all you had to do was mention raw oysters and I would come running! It must be terrible, reliving all those culinary delights! and in February, of all times...;)

Laura Martone said...

Unfortunately, Becky, they ARE pretty good - and I'm rather fond of fries, too. I especially like Cafe Maspero's steak fries. Haven't tried Cooter Brown's yet, but they're on my ever-growing list!

P.S. It sure DOES seem like we talk about food a lot. Whatever could that mean?

Laura Martone said...

Oh, Bridget, we're such kindred spirits when it comes to raw seafood! (Course, I still have yet to try clamming.)

And, yes, it's just AWFUL reliving such wonderful memories, especially at the height of winter.