Sunday, February 27, 2011

Weekend Mishmash: Dying U.S. Cities

A few days ago, I received an unsettling email from the nonprofit organization Friends of New Orleans. Apparently, Newsweek had published a list of America's top 10 dying cities in late January, and poor, beleaguered New Orleans was at the top of the list. Being a native of the Big Easy and a part-time resident of the French Quarter, I couldn't help but question the magazine's motive in publishing such a one-dimensional piece. So, although I'm a month behind the times, I felt a strong urge to discuss this misleading article on my American Nomad blog, which I did late last night. After all, though it's true that cities like Grand Rapids, Flint, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and New Orleans have suffered population declines over the past decade, demographic information isn't the only factor that determines a city's worth, especially from a traveler's perspective.

So, what do you think of the list?

No comments: